Friday, January 17, 2014

Yes, tell me what you think...

     I've come to the conclusion that I attract crazy people. Yes, you heard right!  Crazy magnet here!  Random people come up to me and tell me what is on their mind! This morning, by 10 am I had already encountered one of these crazy people.
      Running late this morning, we left the house with bed head. We dropped off Nathan at middle school, went to pick up Nathan's glasses, pumped gas, picked up a bite to eat. We then went to pick up some prints of pictures I took of my cousin yesterday.  Typical morning errands right?  Well at the register, the cashier asked me as she looked at my boys,  "are they boys or girls?"  I laughed and said boys.  She apologized and I assured her that it was fine.  She complimented on their hair, we talked about hair care and she asked for some tips (because I must be a professional).  Another lady who appeared to be in her mid-late 40's, starred at us from the distance, made a small comment about how she thought the boys were girls.  We said goodbye, grabbed our things and walked to our car. As I'm loading the boys in their car seats, I noticed the second lady followed me outside to the car and is now standing there, itching to tell me something.  I finish putting Jace in his seat, close the door and smile at her. She says to me " Can I ask you something?", "Sure" I answer.  She goes on to ask me if when I was pregnant did I hope for a girl, I told her I did, but that I'm happy with my three boys.  She then says, "I figured you did.  But let me tell you something. If you are having trouble with them being confused for girls, you will have trouble with homosexuality later on."  At this point I am so surprised by her comment, that it takes me a while to process what she just said to me.  I feel my heart begin to race as I start feeling upset by her comment.  I laughed out loud and told her that just because they have long hair, they are not treated like girls.  I walk over to the other side of my SUV to ensure Ayden buckled himself correctly in his car seat, she follows me over.  She continues to tell me how they being asked if they are a boy or a girl, they will doubt what they are and may become "homosexuals".  I was beyond mad at this time all these thoughts in my head.  I mean how dare she continue to tell me this in front of my 4 year old (who is wise beyond his years), how close minded are you woman, better yet... who asked you?!  I tried to keep my composure in front of my children as she said to me "you should cut their hair". I quickly closed the door to the car and finally gave her a dirty look, and said to her "Ma'am did I asked you for your opinion?"  She looked at me with disbelief.  "You should keep your ignorance to yourself".  I got into the vehicle, closed the door and she finally walked away.  I was so mad, I called my husband to vent. 
      As I drove home, I thought of all the things I should of said to her.  But what do you say to someone like that?  Clearly nothing I said to her would make her change, not that I really wanted her to.  I was more upset about her saying that to me in front of my children.  I want my children to feel secure in who they are, to understand that there is so many differences in this world and that's what makes it so great.  How does one make children understand that we are each unique, when some people still feel the need for things to be uniform and only a certain way?  How do you deal with this issue?
We may not all look the same, but that's the best part!

3 comments:

  1. O Wow Selene....you are Far better than me! right, how dare that ignorant lady. she was way beyond than stepping on toes. all of your boys are gorgeous! not one pic i have seen of them has made me think any differently. this reminds me wheb leslie was little, she hardly had any hair, and well to be honest lorenzo didnt want me to put frilly bows and such in her hair bc she would just pull them out....she was mistaken for a little boy a lot. and now look at her, beautiful yet wild curly hair. i think yoh are doing a fantastic job as a mother, wife and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Selene,

    I came over here from Instagram (anjinho...).
    I feel so sorry for you (and everyone else in similar situations), that you need to experience such awful situations.
    I am pretty sure it would absolutely drive me mad.
    And I am quite sure I wouldn't have reacted much different from you.
    I can understand it so well, when you have too much in mind to form the right words at the right time. Although it's a pitty, because it would have been great if you would have told her how horrible wrong she is, and they even if your boys would get homosexual just because if their (oh-so-awesome!!!!) hair, it wouldn't be a problem; although that would have been awesome, it is just normal that we cannot say the right words at the right time...
    But for sure that confrontation may have helped you to be a little better "prepared" for the next time...
    Of course I wouldn't wish you that kind of "next time", but we know that this world is so sick........


    Sending you hugs!

    Cheers,
    Dorothee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selene! I love this photo! How come i have never seen it? Anyway, you already know I love you and your adorable family. you should just go back to school and get a license to practice therapy, then that skill of attracting crazies will make you some good money!!

    ReplyDelete